Old Stone Church Burial Ground
In 1719 the people living in this section of Lyme desired their own church. This was granted and we became known as the 2nd or East Ecclesiastical Society of Lyme. A church was then built at what is now the intersection of Riverview and Society Roads. At that time they laid out an acre of land across the street for a burial ground. The earliest marked stone is dated 1722. Every type of stone that has been used for monuments you can find on these grounds. These include fieldstones, slate, brownstone, marble and granite. In the early 1800’s another acre of land was added. Over 100 Veterans are buried here from the Colonial Wars to present time. On June 14, 1926 a memorial was erected to honor the Civil War Veterans.
This burial ground is cared for by the Niantic Community Church.
Located on East Pattagansett Road in Niantic, this cemetery was opened in the mid 1800’s. On June 14, 1927 a new gateway was unveiled at the south entrance. There are two pillars of Millstone granite topped with granite cannonballs. There is a bronze plaque on each pillar listing the eighty-five people from East Lyme who served in the Civil War. They were given by Flora M. Smith in memory of her father, Frederick Malcolm Smith who served in the Civil War.
East Lyme Cemetery
The East Lyme Cemetery is located at the end of a lane flanked by 2 stone pillars on the Boston Post Rd. This cemetery was opened in the 1840’s and continues to serve the community. Along with the new granite markers, it contains many old stones from the 19th century set in perfect rows.
Union and East Lyme Cemeteries are maintained by the East Lyme Cemetery Association.
There are sixteen historical cemeteries that are under the care of the Historic East Lyme Cemetery Association. Many of these are on private land, so their locations are not listed.